By Richard Brody
It’s a far different thing, to seek a leadership position, than, becoming a true LEADER! Wouldn’t it make sense, for these individuals, to proceed, forward, with an awareness. of their true, inner feelings, as to why, they want, to lead? Shouldn’t someone, to thoroughly consider, and know, why, they want to become a leader, and, whether, they have what it takes, to make a necessary, difference, for the better, in their chosen organization? With that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, using the mnemonic approach, what this means and represents, and why it matters. It takes, far more than, merely wanting, to lead, but rather, the commitment, and discipline, to do so!
1. Listen; learn; like leading: It takes a willingness, to effectively, listen, and learn, in order to proceed, in a compelling way, to bring people together, for the greater good! In addition, one thing, few people consider, is whether, they will actually, like leading! How will you know, in advance, unless you proceed, in a well – considered, focused way?
2. Empathy; energy/ energize; emphasis: Why do so few leaders, appear to possess the degree of genuine empathy, which might address perceptions, concerns, etc, on a timely basis? A leader’s energy, tends to energize others, towards a meeting – of – the – minds! These considerations are significant factors, which generally determine, the best place to place his emphasis! Few people proceed, with a combination of introspection, and objectivity, to identify, their personal strengths, and weaknesses!
3. Attitude; aptitude; attention; articulate: It takes a positive, can – do, attitude, combined with a relevant, well – developed, aptitude, and skill – set, to make someone, a real leader! He must pay keen attention, to what’s relevant and sustainable, and understand potential ramifications, while having the self – confidence, to articulate an inspiring, motivating message!
4. Delve deeply; discover; deliver: It’s important to have the commitment, to delve deeply, in order to discover, the best strategy, and implement a meaningful, relevant, sustainable, action plan!
5. Endurance; excellence; enrich: Since there are many obstacles, thrust in one’s path, a leader must exhibit the degree of endurance, which might bring about quality, and excellence, in order to focus on, the best way, to enrich, the group he represents, and the constituents, he serves!
6. Relevant; responsive; realistic; rationale: If you don’t clearly, understand, and appreciate your personal motivations, motives, perceptions, and priorities, how will you be able to articulate, your rationale, to others? A real leader must proceed, consistently, in a relevant, sustainable, responsible, and realistic way, in order to earn the right, to be considered, a leader!
Why are you, and why, did you become, a LEADER? Are you, up to the task?
Richard has owned businesses, been a COO, CEO, Director of Development, consultant, professionally run events, consulted to thousands of leaders, and conducted personal development seminars, for 4 decades. Rich has written three books and thousands of articles. His company, PLAN2LEAD, LLC has an informative website http://plan2lead.net and Plan2lead can also be followed on Facebook http://facebook.com/Plan2lead