By Richard Brody
Wouldn’t every organization, and group, be, better – served, and represented, if their leaders, were, truly, CARING? Unfortunately, far – too often, many, who are, either, elected, selected, and/ or, ascend to positions of leadership, only, claim to be, that way. while, unfortunately, often, being, more concerned with their personal/ political agenda, and/ or, self – interest, or, perhaps, taking the perceived, path, of least resistance! After, over four decades of involvement, in, nearly every aspect, related to leading, from identifying and qualifying, to training, developing, and consulting to thousands of actual, and/ or, potential leaders, I realize, although many of the relevant skills, and assets, can be taught, the essence of the character of an individual, is, often, more dependent on the specific individual, and his personal integrity, etc. With, that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, using the mnemonic approach, what this means and represents, and why it matters.
1. Character; coordinate; consider; common good; common sense: Have you ever wondered, why it seems, we witness, so little, common sense, in those, who serve as leaders? Before electing anyone, we must seriously/ thoroughly, consider,whether an individual, has a superior quality of character! Great leaders are responsible for coordinating their group’s activities, etc, and, their emphasis must be, on serving the common good!
2. Attitude; attention; articulate; actions: We need leaders, who possess a genuine, positive, can – do, attitude, but avoid the trap, of wearing, rose – colored glasses! One’s focus and attention, must emphasize, considering, multiple, viable options and alternatives, and having the strength, to strategically, determine, the best action plan, to proceed, forward, while articulating an inspiring, motivating, unifying message!
3. Relevant; reality, really; rationale: If one, really, means, what he says, and is fit, to lead, he faces reality, and proceeds, in the most relevant manner! He must be ready, willing, and able, to fully, explain his rationale, in a unifying, inspiring way!
4. Integrity; ideals/ ideology; innovate; imagination; insights: One can never be a real leader, unless/ until, he maintains, absolute integrity, especially, when it might be, inconvenient, to do so! His ideology must align, with his organization’s, and he must have the personal insights, to articulate his ideals, openly, with his constituents! Those, with a well – developed, relevant imagination, should be able to innovate, as necessary, for the greater good!
5. Needs; nerve; nuances; notice: If you aren’t satisfying the needs of your group, and stakeholders, you won’t make a difference, for the better! It takes an individual, with the nerve, and willingness to address the specific nuances, to notice, the best course of action, to choose!
6. Generate goodwill; greater good: Unless one, truly, cares, he probably, won’t emphasize, generating goodwill, for the greater good!
While, CARING leaders, really, care, both, about their group, and stakeholders, many others, who hold, some positions of leadership, merely, claim to! Are you, up to the task?
About the author
Richard has owned businesses, been a COO, CEO, Director of Development, consultant, professionally run events, consulted to thousands of leaders, and conducted personal development seminars, for 4 decades. Rich has written three books and thousands of articles. His company, PLAN2LEAD, LLC has an informative website http://plan2lead.net and Plan2lead can also be followed on Facebook http://facebook.com/Plan2lead