By Richard Brody
While, it is true, effective leaders need, to have the RESPECT of their constituents, and stakeholders, it is essential, to recognize and realize, it doesn’t, just happen, but must be earned, every day, in every way! What, exactly, does respect mean, and why is it important, and essential? In my, over four decades, of involvement in all areas of leadership, from identifying and qualifying, potential leaders, to training, developing, and consulting, to well over a thousand of them, to serving, personally, in several positions, I have come to realize, how important, earning the respect, is so important! With that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, using the mnemonic approach, what this means, and represents, and why, it must be, both, the basis, and basics, of effectively leading.
1. Relevant; reliable; responsive: Most stakeholders will, in the longer – term, pay far more attention, to a leader’s actions, than his rhetoric and promises! Only, when one’s ideas are considered, relevant, reliable, and responsive, will anyone deserve their respect!
2. Empathy; energy: If one wishes to effectively communicate, and relate to his constituents, in order to inspire and motivate them, and create a meaningful, call – to – action, he must effectively listen, and learn, from every conversation and experience, and proceed, with the utmost degree of genuine empathy! When this is combined with a leader’s relevant, responsive energy, he energizes others, and creates a welcoming environment!
3. Sustainable; solutions; system: You will only earn the right, to be respected, when/ if, you prioritize, introducing quality solutions, and a system to get it done, rather than, merely, being a crisis – manager! True leaders are, both, relevant, and sustainable!
4. Prioritize; perceptive; planning: Perceptive leaders, prioritize actions, and approaches, in order to pursue the finest courses of action! Effective leadership planning is an essential element to earning, and deserving, the respect of others!
5. Excellence; endurance: Great leaders need the endurance, to make a difference, for the better, regardless of obstacles, thrust in their path! One must always, demand, his highest degree of genuine excellence!
6. Creative; coordinate; clever; character: A combination of well – considered, creativity, with a readiness, and willingness, to coordinate activities, in a focused way, creates a clever – enough, leader, to make a difference, for the better. However, unless/ until, someone exhibits a genuine, consistent, quality of character, he will never earn or deserve any respect!
7. Timely: Deserving leaders never procrastinate! Rather, they consistently proceed, in a well – considered, timely manner!
This is the basis, and basics, of a leader, earning, and deserving, RESPECT! Are you, up to the task?
About the author
Richard has owned businesses, been a COO, CEO, Director of Development, consultant, professionally run events, consulted to thousands of leaders, and conducted personal development seminars, for 4 decades. Rich has written three books and thousands of articles. His company, PLAN2LEAD, LLC has an informative website http://plan2lead.net and Plan2lead can also be followed on Facebook http://facebook.com/Plan2lead