By Richard Brody
Many people believe they want to be a leader! Yet, few take the time, and make the effort, to consider, why others would believe you have earned the right, to FOLLOW. For various reasons, including: insufficient or inadequate leadership training; lack of sufficient commitment, and/ or discipline; lack of self – confidence; issues related to their attitude, aptitude, etc; time – related factors, etc, we often witness, those, in positions of leadership, who, fail to earn the respect, from actual and potential stakeholders/ constituents! With that in mind, this article will attempt to, consider, review, examine, and discuss, using the mnemonic approach, what this means and represents, and why it matters.
1. Face facts; future; furnish; fruition: Leaders must face the facts, in a positive way, but, without wearing rose – colored glasses, in order to be aware and prepare for relevant needs, goals, and priorities, and taking the best course of action. A leader must create the best path, forward, to the future, and be prepared to bring the best solutions, to fruition!
2. Overcome obstacles; organized: It’s important to be prepared to overcome any, and all, potential obstacles, which he may confront, and bring the finest strategic and action planning, forward, in an organized manner, focused on relevant goals, priorities, and needs.
3. Listen; learn; leading: How can anyone make a difference for the better, until/ unless, he effectively listens, far more than he speaks, and learns from every conversation and experience, so he can proceed, with the utmost degree of genuine empathy? Isn’t the essence of leading, showing others, the way, so they become more committed, motivated and inspired, and feel, your group, is valuable and important?
4. Lessons; long – term: A great leader studies the past, understands the present, and envisions the future, for the organization! He uses these lessons, to avoid making the same mistakes, while, maintaining a vision, which considers, the long – term implications, and ramifications, in a prepared manner!
5. Options; opportunities: Avoid being someone, who, focuses, solely, on, My way or the highway, mindset, and is ready, willing, and able, to consider as many relevant, sustainable options and alternatives, as possible! Why would anyone be ready, willing, and able to follow anyone, who minimizes the possibilities, and isn’t prepared for any opportunities, which may present themselves?
6. What; when: What might make your constituents, feel, more strongly, you have their best interests, in – mind, and introduce relevant, sustainable, meaningful ideas, which address priorities, goals, need, and/ or perceptions? When a leader steps – forward, and, leads – by – example, everyone benefits!
Just because you hold a position, doesn’t mean, they are a real leader, worthy of being followed! Why would anyone FOLLOW you?
Richard has owned businesses, been a COO, CEO, Director of Development, consultant, professionally run events, consulted to thousands of leaders, and conducted personal development seminars, for 4 decades. Rich has written three books and thousands of articles. His company, PLAN2LEAD, LLC has an informative website http://plan2lead.net and Plan2lead can also be followed on Facebook http://facebook.com/Plan2lead